A Typical Day

So I thought it’d be fun to take you all on a virtual tour of my life here at La Union language school and then back to my house! Let’s go!

      This is the entrance to my language school.  It has a great set up with lots of individual tables. Each student is paired with a teacher and we each sit and learn at different paces. A lot of the teachers have different styles. Some of the other missionaries in my group didn’t mesh well with their teachers and needed to change but mine is great!! I have been so blessed. Ana Rosa is really fun to talk to and we have a great balance of book work, practicing verbal skills, games and just having conversations. Today, I also told the story of Little Red Riding Hood. It was ridiculous but such a great way to practice my spanish. It’s been a while since I heard the story so I definitely had to make some things up which made it even funnier.  My language skills are improving every day!

Okay, now I have to head home from language to have lunch at my house! 

Here is my front door.  I live at #45 and you basically walk in to the garage.

     Through the garage is this courtyard- which is beautiful!!! All of the rest of the rooms are off the courtyard. My room (you’ll see it in a second!) is off to the back.  There is a living room and dining room and kitchen. My host parents live in a really big master bedroom in the front right corner of the house, off the living room with their private bathroom.  And now…

      Here is my room! As you can see, I have moved in and made it my own with pictures, books, and other things to remind me of home. These pictures were taken while I was packing for the retreat so please excuse the stuff on the bed.




I also have a bathroom that is pretty much just for me.


Warm water for showers (!!!!!!) and plenty of space- its perfect.

This is my host family. Elder and Marina live in the house and have been hosting students for 8 or 9 years, since he retired. I have absolutely loved getting to know them and practicing my Spanish, especially with Elder. They have three children and 3 grandchildren. They are all precious! Kenneth is 5, Steven is 3 and Joanna is 7 months.  None of them live here but visit all the time!  4 of their nieces also live here during the week. They study and work in Antigua during the week, and return home on the weekends. There is another girl from the States who arrived on Saturday. She works for Google and took her vacation time to come study and teach computer skills for 10 days. Tomorrow, 4 guys from Michigan are also coming. They will be here for the entire fall semester. Basically, it will be a very full house when everyone gets here! Lots of fun!

A typical day for me starts by waking up at 7 to eat breakfast and get to school by 8. School from 8 to 12 Daily mass is at noon and at a church less than a minute from the school. Lunch at home and back to the school or a café called Y Tu Pina Tambien, to meet up with my fellow missionaries. It is totally a café for gringos (foreigners) but it has free wi-fi and great couches.  The afternoons are always different (Today, I went to 4 different travel agencies with Allison and Ashley looking into prices for some traveling our group will be doing). Home for dinner, homework, reading, internet use and bed.

Alrighty, I hope you enjoyed our little tour and a look into my life here. Sorry that this is so long! I hope you enjoy it nonetheless.

Love always,

Erin Lucia

No comments:

Post a Comment