Update from Antigua, Guatemala


I am currently sitting in my new room at my host family’s house.  I arrived here in Guatemala on Tuesday evening, landing at 8:30, followed by a 45-minute care ride to Antigua.  My host family has welcomed me with open arms and they have a wonderful home.  My host parents are in their late 50s- Elder and Marina.  Also living at the house are several of their nieces who study in Antigua during the week and return to their families on the weekends. There is wireless Internet at the house (sometimes) and I have a cozy room, which is just perfect for me!

I have spent the last two mornings at language school in one-on-one classes for 4 hours each morning.  So much is coming back to me since my last official Spanish classes in high school.  My time spent with my Aunt Marianne in a couple of lessons definitely helped train my ear and get me back until the swing of things a bit (thank you!!!).  My host family speaks no English so it has been an adventure in communication but a great one so far.

This weekend, I am heading out on a retreat with the other first year volunteers from the Farm. I am so excited to spend time getting to know everyone and growing closer to the Lord.  Yesterday, when I met everyone (except Allison- she comes today!!), I received yet one more confirmation that this is where I am supposed to be.  I have already been encouraged by and felt so much love from my new brothers and sisters in Christ.  I am so grateful.

I will definitely post more next week about the retreat and about Antigua but I think it is time to head back over the school, meet up with the other volunteers to figure out what fun things we are going to do this afternoon!!  Also, pictures to come of my house and room.

Don’t forget to send me your prayer intentions!!

Much love to all,

Erin Lucia

P.S.  Erin Marina picked out this new name for me. I was going to go by Erin Lacey at the Farm but Lacey sounds too much like Lazy and I was getting funny looks.  I love this new nickname!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhhh Antigua is awesome...I'm going to have to live vicariously through you. Have fun and I look forward to the updates!!

    - Erik

    ReplyDelete