God Is...


Well, I wanted to write another blog post to share a little peek into what we have been talking about within our community. Felicia, who was one of the first missionaries of the Farm when is moved to its Honduran location, gave the missionaries a prayer book with a weekly reflection.  Today we met at my house and talked about seeing God in the people around us.  I wanted to share some of the places where I have seen Him…

… He is in the eyes of my new little Guatemalan brother named Kenneth as he knocks on my door and peaks into my room with a bright smile. “Cartas?” I have taught him several American card games and he can’t get enough.  He asks to play constantly and hearing his laughter when he gets a pair in Go Fish is wonderful.

… He is in the hands of an older indigenous woman wearing the vivid colors of traditional Maya dress. She is kneeling in the church with a posture of fervent prayer. She pats the head of her grandson who has run around the church and over to her looking for some love.

… He is in the face of a young teenager running through the streets of Antigua with his friends. He is blowing a whistle and following banners and a torch, celebrating his country’s independence from Spain so many years ago.  It begins to rain, as is the norm in the afternoons, and that only excites the group more, bringing out smiles and a lot of laughter.

… He is in the words of my new sister Allison.  She stopped by to see me twice while I was not feeling well yesterday. Her encouraging words and generous spirit warmed my heart and were yet one more reminder of the blessing of this new family the Lord has called me to.

… He is in the laughter of the guys I live with while we sit at the dinner table and attempt to speak Spanish with our host parents.  The little ways they remind me of my brothers at home are such a blessing.

… He is in the hard work of Ana Rosa, my Spanish teacher. She wakes up every morning at 3:30 to work in her parents’ bakery, spends four hours with me in the morning and goes back to working for them in the afternoon and evenings. She never seems tired and always has a positive attitude.  Her interest in my life and the ways she adapts based on my needs are true gifts!

… He is also in the friendly spirit of the other international students at La Union.  Sharing and talking with new friends… having a 15-minute conversation about the culture and food in Iceland- ever had horse before?  God is allowing us all to grow and learn so much more about the world.

… He is also in the grateful smile of a Guatemalan mom who took her children to play in the park. She has just watched her kids pounce on the candy from a Buzz Lightyear piñata that Ashley, Allison, Kevin and Sara bought for Erin, David and I. Sharing that moment with a bunch of children and watching their smiles and their moms smile made the piñata just that more special.

… He is in the 10-minute long video message from a dear friend from the States. Seeing the daughter of Christ she truly embodies reminds me of our journey at Elon and how much the Lord worked in the lives of all of my friends there.

I could go on and on about all of the places where God is.  He continues to show up and promises to keep doing so as long as we keep looking for Him.  Go check on Danielle Rose’s song God is.  She is amazing and the lyrics of this song are fantastic.

Much love to everyone at home!  

- Erin Lucia

1 comment:

  1. While you're at it, check out Danielle Rose's song "Be God's"--a Notre Dame classic!!! :)

    Miss you and love you so much Erin. You are in my prayers every single day.
    Love, Cath

    ReplyDelete