I have a job!!


Well, I have two fun things to share. 

First off, I have officially been given a job.  We have been going through the discernment process, as I mentioned in my last blog and I officially have a job now!!  I will be serving as the Special Education Teacher and the accountant.  These are both jobs that are 2/3 jobs so, needless to say, I will be quite busy.  However, I think I will do better to have a stricter schedule and really be productive during my time here.  It will be a great thing to balance the concrete of accounting and our budget and the somewhat spontaneous nature of special ed which will consist of a lot of one on one work with kids who have some learning disabilities.  Everyone hear is also given specific small jobs.  I will be the Saturday morning swim coach and a member of the Personnel committee, who reads through all of the new missionary applications and selects both the full time and summer missionaries.  I am sooo excited about all of my jobs and feel so blessed.  Every missionary also serves in various other roles including but not limited to cook, babysitter, tutor, mentor, catechist, housekeeper, etc.  It is a beautiful and simple life at the Farm but simplicity does not mean a lack of work to be done.  Don’t worry- we have a lot of fun too! Last night we ventured down to TBay, a hotel down the beach where we get to use the internet!.  We had a great night of crazy games and fun community bonding to celebrate the jobs that we, the newbies, have received!!

I also have a fun little story about my morning yesterday.  Well folks, I helped to cut down a tree and chop it up into firewood- with a chain saw and machetes.  Okay, so I only tried the chainsaw once and kind of failed at it but totally got the hang of how to use a machete!!  It was so fun and very rewarding work, seeing as there was a tree there before and now there is not.  Don’t worry, we don’t just chop down any old tree to use for our stove firewood.  This one was leaning very dangerously, had several dead branches and we only cut it off at a certain place hopeful that it will grow straighter.  The team consisted of other first year missionaries David, Sara, Kevin and I.  We were led by Raul, a former Finca missionary from two years ago who has been back at the Finca for a few months assisting in small projects and helping us through orientation.  Learning to use a machete for a little intimidating but I eventually got pretty into it and have the blister and sore muscles to show for it!

Pax y Bien de Honduras,

Erin Lucia

P.S. I am using another recently acquired skill (or, well, a skill that is still being developed).  I have had the great privilege to cut two people’s hair since I have arrived. Erin Marina and Raul both got trims!  Super fun :)

2 comments:

  1. I fail and have not been checking your blog as frequently as I should. I'm so happy to hear that you are the special ed teacher, those children are so blessed to get such a warm and caring child of Christ as their teacher. You are also so good with the details that I can only see good things coming out of being the accountant. I'm currently in Newman at Elon for homecoming wishing you were here. I love you so much and, as always, am still praying for the success of your mission and all the missionaries you are with. Tenga un buen dia, mi amiga!
    Con mi amor todo, abrazos, y besos,
    Maria (that's the name I always used in Spanish classes in case I never told you that... hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND I FORGOT TO SAY YAY ABOUT THE HAIR CUTTING!!! WOOO!! I still haven't had mine cut since you did it. You're the best Mama B.

    ReplyDelete